Sunday, February 25, 2007

Making online calls private.

An article in the Mercury News on Sunday discussed about the use of VoIP (voice-over-the-Internet phone), an instrument that renders any of our calls completely private. People like hacker or even the FBI will not be able to tap our wire and listen to your conversation. The article has an interview dialog with the creator of VoIP that discussed about the advantages and disadvantages before and after 9/11.

I find that it is quite interesting about this article because it showed a controversy between privacy rights and national security. VoIP seems to be a well privacy protector, but it also can be a communication tool for terrorists. I do not know if people would value their privacy more than the lives of many people, supposed that the government find out where the terrorists will attack. In my opinion, VoIP should be put in use to secure our calls privacy from unauthorized people, but the government should get some kind of decryption software from the VoIP developer so that the government can monitor incoming and outgoing calls. I do not find it bothers me knowing that the government is listening to my calls, unless I have something to hide from them.

No comments: